How They Connect Right Drive Roads To Left Drive Roads At Border

By -

66% of the world’s population lives in countries that drive on the right side of the road while the remaining 34% live in countries that drive on the left side. The Left-driving countries include British Isles, the Caribbean, Southern and Eastern Africa, the Indian Subcontinent, Japan, Southeast Asia, and Oceania. At most part the left-driving countries are isolated from right-driving countries through water, mountains, deserts or deep forests.

This leads to very little traffic crossover between two modes but still there are numerous roads where one mode has to be changed with the other mode while crossing borders. Therefore, to help the drivers easily cross over without feeling a sudden change, various types of roads are constructed. We have collected today 5 of such beautiful examples from borders that will leave you amaze.

1. Lotus Bridge Joining Macau To Mainland China

Another cross over bridge Lotus Bridge joins Macau to mainland China where drivers leaving Macau on the right cross over the bridge which splits in half on the other side and  left-hand lane performing a 360-degree double back under the bridge to the right-hand side. Drivers leaving mainland China on the right double back under the bridge and then over the inbound lane from Macau to end up on the left.

2. Thai – Lao Friendship Bridge

The creation of controlled intersection lanes with traffic lights are present to get in and around Thailand which is a left-hand-drive country surrounded by right-driving countries Burma (Myanmar), Laos, and Cambodia. The Thai-Lao friendship bridge splits the two direction of the traffic and intersects after a short distance thus completing the crossover.

3. Hong Kong – Shenzhen Western Corridor, Cross Over Bridge

In a crossover bridge one lane breaks from the roadway, bridges over top of the other, and ends up on the other side of the road which is useful in high traffic crossings. Hong Kong-bound traffic leaving Shenzhen customs on the right-hand side drives over top of the northbound lane to the left-hand side of the Shenzhen Bay Bridge.

4. Poipet – Cambodian Border

Another way to help drivers is through a roundabout where vehicles enter the traffic circle on one side of the road and leave on the other. The round about is present on the Poipet – borderline between Thailand in the west and Cambodia in the east to separate Thai traffic from Cambodian traffic.

5. Channel Tunnel

Channel Tunnel joins England and France where each side of the tunnel uses a different method of integrating drivers onto the proper side of the road.  Cars drive onto a train which deposits them in a new country to resume their drive – a kind of drive-on/drive-off situation. 

6. Bonus: The Pearl River Necklace (concept design)

A Dutch architectural firm, NL Architects came up with a twisted bridge at Hong Kong border. This design was put forward to allow the left-sided traffic in Hong Kong moving to right-side in China.

pearl-river-necklace-bridge

➘ Share this Article on:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *